Fresh poemz online

It's been a little while since I last had some poems online but as of today there's two fresh ones at the PFS Post site, run by Philly poet Adam Fieled, entitled "Exes & Zeroes" and "Oh God!". I've also got two poems in a neat little journal called Luzmag run by Lars Palm in Spain, entitled "Maz" and "Three Generations". Finally, papertiger's exceptionally cute webzine hutt, edited by Paul Hardacre, now features a poem called "Machines for Living In." These five poems were all written last year while I was on an Ozco new work grant, and are part of a loose collection about love and stuff tentatively called Loveship Demos. Some other poems from this group have already appeared (check out my full list of online publications here). It's kind of interesting to think that while I've had a number of poems in print mags, I've had far more in web journals and online poetry zines. The attraction is obvious: the turnaround time for submissions is much shorter, the poems are far more likely to appear much quicker and (perhaps most vitally) online publication offers the chance of a greater number of poetential (sic) readers. Of course, there's a downside too - many of these publications would be seen by print mavens as having no relevance, or as being one-person shows; while I think this categorisation is unfair, it's also true to say that a great number of poets would prefer to be published in Meanjin than, say, foam:e. For me, however, online poetry is where it's at: and I'm not saying that just because I'm also an editor of an online journal. I'm interested in writing for and making connections with poets and editors who are utilising the potential of web-based communication. There's no point talking about "migrating" poets or readers to an online space - we're already here! Get with the HTML program. Funnily enough, also on the PFS Post site is a dialogue between Adam Fieled and Lars Palm, in which they make mention of Cordite and hutt, amongst other online magazines, and also discuss some of these very issues.

Comments

derek said…
true - i'm happy to claim it as a 'real' publication when my name gets out there on the net. of course i would like a pretend publication in meanjin too...might tell my dad about that one

i like the P.F.S. poems; here's my latest internet glory -

http://haikureview.net/

cheers
David Prater said…
Hi Derek,

thanx for the comment and the link - that's a nice site, some good poets there. including yerself.

of course, what i didn't mention before is that the advantage of Cordite (or perhaps what makes it unlike other web journals) is that publication there does also count in the "real" world - for example in terms of applying for Ozco funding. So I think there's a happy medium somewhere but the problem of a lack of credibility for web journals will persist for quite some time, I think.
Bob Bunyip said…
the boudaries are blurring ... is it you or me who can no longer distinguish the roles and the realities? ... and does it matter anyway? i'm not even sure what site I'm on anymore. Ah, for the joys of design and colour-coding! ... at least I found a cyber address for one of you ... I think!

Popular posts from this blog

Abendland reviewed online etc ...

Before ... and ... after!

Funeral for Democracy